Date: 18th February 2011 at 10:24am
Written by:

A decision on whether the opening race of the season in Bahrain will go ahead as scheduled will be made next week.

Unrest in the Middle East has caused the cancellation of the GP2 Asia race this weekend, while F1 teams were set to fly out to the track for testing on March 3rd.

?We?ll make a decision by Tuesday or Wednesday. If things stay as they are today, the answer is no,? Bernie told ReutersReuters. If it’s not quietened down by Wednesday, I think we will have to cancel probably.’

F1 teams are likely to discuss the possiblity of doing the final testing sessions elsewhere, but that is an unlikely option for the race itself.

Four people have been killed and hundreds injured following political protests in the country this week.

 

3 Replies to “Bahrain decision next week”

  • to late for a continengcy plan and it going elsewhere as well I guess, would be a blow for sure, that said, the safety of fans, teams, drivers etc is more important, as are the political issues causing this trouble.

  • They could delay it, it would not go down well with tanks on the outskirts and this event may well cause more problems.

  • Pound to a penny it will be declared safe at the last moment when the Bahrain government send the troops in to ringfence the area.
    Political unrest to get a freely elected government should not Interfere with Western weekend enjoyment of F1, have the revoloution on Monday after the race.

Comments are closed.