Date: 22nd May 2015 at 8:38am
Written by:

One year ago Jules Bianchi scored Marussia their first ever points in Formula One.

It was seen as somewhat of a sporting miracle considering the pace of the Marussia in comparison to the other teams on the grid.

The 25-year-old was able to highlight his driving prowess with aggressive moves on the streets of Monte Carlo.

He was already thought of highly amongst those in the paddock, but this was the race that showcased his talent to everyone else in Formula One.

Tragically a few months later Bianchi crashed during the Japanese Grand Prix on a wet Suzuka circuit in October 2014.

Sauber’s Adrian Sutil had crashed on the very same turn a lap earlier and crashed into the tyre barrier, however for Bianchi, his Marussia crashed into the recovery vehicle which was retrieving Sutil’s Sauber.

Immediately following the incident the safety car and doctors car was then deployed, followed by an ambulance which took Bianchi to Mie General Medical Center in Yokkaich.

The FIA confirmed that Bianchi left the circuit unconscious after suffering a diffuse axonal brain injury and was in a critical but stable condition.

He remained in a artificial coma for around six weeks, when it was then announced that he was breathing unaided. Whilst he remained unconscious and critical, he was moved from Japan to the Le Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Nice in France, which is where he continues his rehabilitation.

‘While there’s life, there’s hope, even though after a while you are hoping for a miracle, Every day the phone is by our side. When we get up, we think of Jules’ life but we think also of his death.’ Philippe Bianchi told French television station Canal+ and quoted by the BBC.

‘We have to think about death because we are in a situation where we know a lot of things can happen. It’s terrible.

‘In neurological terms, I’m not sure he is able to do much now.

‘The situation is stagnant. Jules’ neurological progress is not what we would like it to be.’