Date: 16th November 2011 at 10:15am
Written by:

Will 2012 see the first United States Grand Prix since 2007, or will Formula One be forced to wait to return to the USA?

At the cost of $250 million a brand new purpose built track is currently under construction in Austin, Texas.

The circuit is set to be ready to host their first United States Grand Prix towards the end of the 2012 Formula One season and is set to continue to do so until 2021.

However over the weekend fresh doubts have emerged regarding the new track with Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone publicly doubting whether the event will take place next season.

I wouldn’t want to put my money down that that will happen. I hope it will and we are doing our best to make it happen, but I wouldn’t want to say ‘yes’.’ Ecclestone told the BBC.

The comments come as a huge blow for circuit promoters Full Throttle Productions, who initially agreed a deal with Formula One Administration in May 2010.

The track still has a year to complete all the construction and according to Steve Sexton, the president of the Austin circuit, everything was suppose to be on schedule: ‘Our funding is secured and construction is on schedule, so we don’t understand these comments.’

While United States Grand Prix chief Tavo Hellmund hoped that Bernie Ecclestone would remain patient: ‘Mr Ecclestone has been incredibly patient with the challenges here in Austin, Full Throttle Productions has worked tirelessly to bring the US Grand Prix to the city.

‘It is now the responsibility of the Circuit of the Americas to make this project happen before Mr Ecclestone’s patience runs out.’


However just 48 hours later it would appear that if his patience hasn’t run dry, it could be close too, with Circuit of The Americas officials announcing the suspension of construction.

Over 300 people had been working on the site, but they were told on Tuesday to down tools indefinitely, while a contractual dispute between Formula One officials and the track promoters was resolved.

Unbelievably it would appear that the Texas promoters have yet to receive an official contract from Formula One Management and construction will not continue until one has been received.

‘We have spent tremendous resources preparing for the Formula One and MotoGP Championship races, but the failure to deliver race contracts gives us great concern,’ founding partner of Circuit of The Americas, Bobby Epstein said in the statement.