Date: 27th May 2015 at 10:12am
Written by:

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have decided to take no action against Marussia for Maria de Villota test crash in 2012.

Maria de Villota’s death at the age of 33 has been linked to her Marussia test crash in July 2012.

The former Marussia test driver suffered a horrific crash during testing, shortly after she had completing an installation circuit of the track at Duxford Airfield.

Witnesses at the scene reported that her car suddenly accelerated and crashed into the team truck.

Speculation had led to some reporters suggesting that perhaps the cars anti stall system had been at fault, but Marussia concluded following an investigation that the car was not to blame for the accident.

Maria De Villota’s injuries were sustained when her car crashed into the teams truck, which had the tailgate lowered at the time of the crash. De Villota’s helmet took the brunt of the impact at around 30-40mph.

She was unconscious for around 15 to 20 minutes, while she was treated by paramedics and the ambulance service announced that she had suffered life-threatening injuries.

The day after the crash the team announced that following a lengthy surgical procedure, she had lost her right eye.

Two days later she went back into theatre for a further procedure on her facial and skull injuries, the procedure was said to be successful and a week or so later she left the Neurological Critical Care Unit and returned to Spain.

Maria de Villota’s recovery continued, where she was expected to continue to undergo periodical checks and treatments by specialists of the plastic and neurological surgery services.

In October 2012 the 32-year-old said that she didn’t know what she now wanted to do with her life, but didn’t rule out a return to motorsport.

In February 2013 she had been cleared to drive following a series of tests on her vision, but admitted that she still suffered from headaches and often felt weak.

In July 2013 she married her personal trainer Rodrigo Garcia Millan and had become a motivational speaker.

Along side her work as a motivational speaker Maria de Villota had also been working as an ambassador for the Women in Motorsport commission and motor racing safety campaigns.

In October 2013 Maria de Villota had been found dead in a hotel room in Seville ‘as a consequence of the neurological injuries she suffered’ from the testing crash.

An HSE spokesman confirmed that an investigation had now been concluded: ‘The investigation is now complete and no enforcement action is being taken.

‘Both the company [Manor Grand Prix Racing] and the DP’s [deceased person’s] family have been informed.’