Date: 10th May 2011 at 9:53am
Written by:

The FIA have considered a number of safety concerns expressed by drivers and have decided against banning DRS for the Monaco Grand Prix.

Teams and drivers apparently were split on whether running with DRS would prove to be a safety concern.

Those against running DRS highlighted the risks of attempting the tunnel section at Monaco with an open wing, while other teams didn’t consider this an issue and also highlighted the costs of developing a rear wing specifically for Monaco.

In the end the decision fell to FIA race director Charlie Whiting who informed the teams by letter on Sunday that DRS was to remain for the Monaco Grand Prix.

‘Charlie was quite straightforward about it. He said that there wasn’t a strong enough argument to not have it, so it is staying.’ Williams technical director Sam Michael told Autosport Magazine.

The DRS has so far proved a huge discussion point up and down the pit lane and amongst Formula One fans since its introduction at the start of the 2011 Formula One season.

In Australia it was bemoaned that it had little impact, in Malaysia and China it played it’s part in some superb racing, whilst in Turkey it once again has proved controversial, with media, drivers and supporters suggesting it made overtaking too easy.

But one thing is for certain, it’s introduction has proved very entertaining and for that alone it has to be deemed a success.

 

Your Comment