Date: 7th September 2012 at 8:25am
Written by:

Lewis Hamilton had been expected to sign a contract extension with McLaren during the summer break, but Formula One returned to action last weekend in Belgium with no update on how his contract negotiations have been progressing.

‘I don’t have a deadline, Obviously before next season would be helpful.’ Hamilton told the worlds media during the Thursday drivers press conference.

But Hamilton and McLaren’s prolonged contract negotiations became just half of the story after BBC pundit and former F1 team boss Eddie Jordan dropped a bombshell.

He told the BBC website that not only had Hamilton been speaking to Mercedes, something that McLaren would have expected considering he is out-of-contract at the end of this season, but Jordan believed personal terms were agreed and that an announcement was imminent.

McLaren and Hamilton’s management team both denied the reports, only for other media sources, especially the British newspapers leading with further stories, which included news that Mercedes had offered him £60-million-three-year-deal.

Following all of the media reports over the last few days Hamilton was obviously in high demand on Thursday and he elaborated on the situation to Sky Sports.

‘Nothing has been signed and my management remain in discussions with McLaren. Nothing has changed.

‘I’ve not paid a lot of attention to what my managers have been talking about and what’s been offered. Their job is to go in and get it to a certain point and then come to me when it’s at that final point and say to me, ‘what do you want to do?’. At some stage I’ll find out and I will [make a decision].

‘I don’t need to take much into consideration. I want to be winning, I’m in a fantastic team with incredible people around me so there’s not a lot to worry about or think about.’


Where will the 27-year-old end up? Have your say on our Vital F1 front page poll.