Date: 22nd January 2014 at 9:32am
Written by:

Following the announcement that Kamui Kobayashi and Marcus Ericsson would make up a new line-up for Caterham, both 2013 drivers Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde have had to look for new options in 2014.

French driver Charles Pic left Caterham on Monday, the 23-year-old has two years experience of Formula One behind him having raced for Marussia in 2012, before switching to Caterham in 2013.

From 38 Grands Prix his best finish of 12th in Brazil in 2012 was his best result of his career.

‘Unfortunately Charles won’t be with us next season. It’s a pity that the adventure between Caterham and Charles is ending. On a personal level I want to thank Charles for the work he achieved last year,’ Caterham Team Principal Cyril Abiteboul told Infosport+ as quoted by Sky Sports.

Pic’s team-mate Giedo van der Garde has already found new employment for this season.

The 28-year-old Dutchman has been announced as test and reserve driver at Sauber.

The news leaves question marks on the involvement of 19-year-old Russian Sergey Sirotkin as last month he was also announced as Sauber test driver for the new season.

Sauber have confirmed that Van der Garde will drive in selected Practice One sessions throughout the season as well several of the new in-season test sessions this year.

‘I consider this an important step in my career, It is my goal to help the team with the development of the new car. But, of course, I am a racing driver, and I want to show the team and everybody else what I am capable of and that I deserve a race seat with the Sauber F1 Team in 2015. After all, my ambition remains unchanged and I am highly motivated to succeed in Formula One, especially in the long term.’

‘I am very thankful to Caterham that they gave me a chance to get a taste of Formula 1. I enjoyed a fantastic season with the team and I have learned a lot. The experience gained will surely help me during the rest of my career.’
van der Garde told Sky.