Date: 15th February 2012 at 3:15pm
Written by:

There were violent clashes around the Bahrain capital of Manama yesterday to mark the first anniversary of pro-democracy protests.

Protesters threw petrol bombs and stones at the police, who used rubber bullets and tear gas to try and disperse the groups.

Thankfully nobody was killed and with the anniversary now passing, many political news reporters now hope that the tensions between the protesters and police will calm over the next few days.

The clashes come at a time when members of the House of Lords have expressed their desire to see the Formula One race cancelled for a second year, but Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone still believes the race will go ahead.

‘I don’t think it’s anything serious at all. It doesn’t change our position in any shape or form,’ Ecclestone told the Guardian.

‘I expected there was going to be a big uprising, with the anniversary.’

‘If the people in Bahrain [the government] say, ‘Look Bernie, it wouldn’t be good for you to come over here,’ then I would think again. That is what they said last year.’


In response to the open letter published in The Times newspaper from some members of the House of Lords, Ecclestone added: ‘We’ve always been non-political, Any decision will be made on grounds of safety.’

Formula One is set to visit the Sakhir circuit in Bahrain on April 22.